Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Too Close for Comfort

How terribly embarrassing it could have been.

I pulled out of the driveway at three minutes to 7 pm - prepared to do the Prayer of Invocation at the 7:30 High School Graduation. In case you are wondering, that means immediately after the 7:30 processional march, the Principal would introduce me, and I would say a 7:33 prayer. Nothing to it really - 33 minutes for a five minute drive, find a parking spot, stroll to the school, engage in some small talk with the big wigs, march in, and pray. It was an honor to be asked to do this, and I was looking forward to it.

Have you ever had a mysterious sense of foreboding? One of those times when you know something is wrong, but you can't put your finger on the reason? Check the gas gage! No problems there. Check your watch! Just as I thought - 7:01 pm.

But then it hit me. The 7:30 Graduation was really at 7:00! My 7:33 prayer was a 7:03 prayer! Amazingly there was a parking place close to the school. Somehow the shortcut through the grass was not too wet. Somehow I managed to look composed (I know I must have looked composed) as I entered the school. Some kind woman began to lead me where she thought I should go. But what was wrong with her. I knew I should be in the already started processional. Don't make me go down this hallway. Don't you know who I am? Don't you know we should be going the other way? But ... down the (wrong) hallway we continued. At last I saw a familiar face, and he saw me, and he knew where I should be ... but alas! it was too late. The line had entered the hall, and I was left outside!

If only that girl had listened! None of this needed to happen. If only she had paid attention. It's all her fault!

This little mishap reminded me that the Bible talks about an appointment we all must keep. It says, "for it is appointed unto man once to die ... and after that the judgment!" It reminded me that I don't want to be running up and down the hallway at the last minute saying, "But I'm sure I'm supposed to be in that other line!" It reminded me that since Jesus has made all the necessary provision, I should take care today that everything on my end is in order!

In case it matters to you, my graduation story turned out OK. The man who rescued me knew another way to get me to where I should be, and when they announced my name, I stepped on to the stage ... right on time.

In case it matters to you (and I hope it does) you can be properly prepared for your ultimate appointment. When I was late, it wasn't the fault of the woman who took me to the wrong hallway. It was my fault. I was the one who neglected to get the details. I was the one who left home late. I could have changed the whole night by being prepared.

Jesus has made all the preparations for you! Don't be late.

1 comment:

Glenhandy said...

Age has a way of Making us change our ways of doing things. What I thought was a good memory now need notes. Time and schedules are not important as we no longer watch clocks. The ideas are there but the thought process takes longer.z